Income-Based Repayment Plan (IBR)
IBR at a Glance
The Income-Based Repayment Plan (IBR) is based off of your house hold income, family size and student loan balance.
- Monthly payment amount is effective for 12 months
- Recertification is done yearly with new income documentation
- May lead to forgiveness after 25 years of qualifying payments
Every year you will be required to recertify your IDR plan. We encourage you to recertify your plan at least 60 days before your IDR anniversary date. By doing so, you will continue to have a monthly payment amount based off your financial situation, and you will not experience a lapse in your plan.
- Possible $0.00 monthly payment
- Monthly payments calculated using 15% of your *discretionary income.
- Extended repayment period
Avoiding Processing Delays
These common issues may cause a delay when processing an IBR plan:
- Missing tax returns or house hold income documentation
- Missing or illegible pages of application or supporting documentation
- Incomplete applications in which the answers to a required questions are missing.
- Missing a valid signatures
- Sending applications in 90 days or more before you enter repayment or your recertification